Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Third Helping of Oatmeal

I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about oatmeal by now, but I had to post at least one more.

You see, I bought a big bag of steel cut oats and it would be a travesty not to share it.


Steel cut oats are different than regular oats. Heartier. More textured. A richer flavor. I haven't yet mastered it, but this bag I bought is quite big, so I definitely have time to do such. Steel cut oats require patience in the making. You can't just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes and be good to go. There are several ways you can make them though. I tried the microwave method, which was to put them in the microwave covered for 5 minutes, stir, and then microwave another 5 minutes uncovered. If you do this method, don't make the same mistake I did. Please please please use a container big enough so it doesn't lava over the sides of the bowl and create a nice mess to clean up. You can also make them on the stove top, which takes about 30-40 minutes. But the method I will try next, for sure, is to pop them in the crock pot overnight! I'm so excited about the prospect of dumping the proper ingredients in the crock pot, going to bed, and waking up to a nice warm bowl of steel cut oatmeal. SO happening this weekend.

 1:4 ratio oats to water


Honey, flax seeds, coconut flakes, and blueberries. 
On the leftovers, I added some agave nectar. 
I can't seem to figure out the sweet without being too sweet yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment