Monday, November 19, 2007

A bit confused, but figuring things out

As I sit here reading "Brave New World" and contemplating life outside the scope of academics, I can't help but be unnerved by the whole idea of it. Life seems like a vicious cycle. In the general American society, we work all day, then we go home at night and rest so that way we can work the next day. It all seems so...meaningless. What is the point of landing a job when the only things you really want to be doing are outside of the job environment you find yourself in?

On a deeper level, I question what the point of anything is. If you think about it, I mean REALLY think about it, what's the point of anything? What's the point of playing sports or reading a book or painting a picture or any of the other trillions of things we do to entertain ourselves? I think about all the things I will do when I get off of work and none of them appeal to me because it all seems so pointless.

Sure, we can say that all of these things are necessary, that our economy couldn't survive without balancing the checkbooks, marketing the product, generating ideas, driving the car, taking the ticket, pushing the papers, cleaning the room.

When it gets down to the core of it all, the only important thing is people. None of the other things matter at all. Yes, there are responsibilities we have in life. But people are more important than anything else on earth. While that sounds extremely cliched, I think it's the truth.

I mean, shouldn't we just spend out time loving others? That seems to make sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment