Thursday, September 6, 2007

You don't have time for my ILLUSIONS

I am bored. And I don't want to do homework. Therefore I thought I would at least give the illusion of productivity by posting a blog. Sneaky, I know.

I went to a sitcom taping last week. It was on the Sony lot and was very...interesting. We went to the show "Til Death," starring Brad Garrett and Joley Fisher. It was very cool to see how it was done, albeit long and at times annoying. The thing I found most interesting was this: they would do a scene a couple different times and sometimes they would change certain lines. Sometimes the line was funnier and sometimes it wasn't. But I'll be interested to watch the show to see which lines they picked.

I also went to the Hollywood Bowl this weekend. I guess it's a pretty big deal. There were so many people there, and it was awesome. Basically it's a popular concert venue. We heard the LA philharmonic play music from Paramount Pictures. Leonard Nimoy was the host (and I was just glad it wasn't William Shatner). My favorite was the montage at the beginning. My least favorite was the song from Grease.

I shot my first short film this weekend. I needed more reaction shots. And I need to find good music. Blast.

My roommates just randomly broke into song.

As promised, here is a description of my classes:

For my Motion Picture Production (MPP) class, they split us up into groups, mostly to keep the class size manageable. Last week, group one (of which I happen to be a member) had to pitch our silent film ideas and then film them over the weekend. Luckily, the next 2 films don't have dialogue restrictions, so that's nice. The first film is due on Wednesday, as well as our idea for our next film.

Hollywood Production Workshop (HPW) . They moved up the due date of our 8-minute scripts from September 6th to Monday August 27th. That was a little intimidating at first and took up most of everyone's Sunday night. I had mine almost all done (thanks for helping Nate!), but with the lifting of the dialogue restrictions, I wanted to go back and and a few necessary lines of dialogue. Not to mention the fact that I had to tweak and refine a few things.


For my Motion Picture Production (MPP) class, they split us up into groups, mostly to keep the class size manageable. We had to pitch a silent film idea toward the end of the week. Luckily, they informed us that the dialogue restrictions (which was basically "no dialogue") was lifted, so that was nice.

We also have Hollywood Production Workshop (HPW). Here's the deal with that: Everyone has to take it. Everyone had to submit a script. 5 scripts were chosen to be produced. Anyone could submit a director's reel. There was an interview process and 5 people were chosen to direct the 5 scripts. Everyone filled out a questionnaire about what position they wanted (director, producer, DP, AD, sound designer, editor). The 5 scripts and 5 directors were chosen, and everyone else was split up into their respective groups, usually according to what position they wanted (I think everyone either got their first or second choice). I am a producer and I am really excited about learning the business side of things. The end goal is to have a festival ready short film.

We also have an internship while we're here. Basically we had a few sessions of introduction into the world of Hollywood and the internship process. Then we had to interview with Chris, the lady in charge of the LAFSC internships. She asks people what kind of stuff they want to do and then e-mails out their resumes. She sent my resume to Ed Saxon Productions and Bridget Johnson Productions. We'll see how that goes.

The fourth and final class is Theology in Hollywood (TIH). In that class, we watch a movie every week and discuss it. The purpose of the class is to learn how to create art that has spiritual depth, the challenges of being a Christian in Hollywood, and all that jazz.

I'm also taking a separate acting class. I've never taken an acting class before. Eep.

I should stop being fake productive and be actually productive. I don't really foresee that happening, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment