Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Good, The Bad, The Mundane

This is a little something I wrote up and for some reason didn't post it right away. It is from June 21. So here it is (the first part is a little ironic):

*********************************************************************************

I am supposed to be chronicling my internship. Oops. I haven't really done a bang up job yet. So I will try to do better now.

Susie Shellenberger, editor of Brio Magazine, was guest hosting for Kim Jefferies while Kim was out of town. It was a very interesting thing to observe because Susie was doing the show from Colorado Springs, but everything else was run from the KTIS studio like normal. The music. The breaks. Even the calls. Every time there was a call, Karl the Call Screener would e-mail Susie so she would know. This got a bit confusing if the call got dropped, but it wasn't too bad. I got to observe in the studio, which was fun, but weird because there was no host in the studio, so it didn't even really feel like a show was going on. They have a really sweet board in the studio. I mean, of course they do, but still, it was just nice to look at. Yep, I'm that big of a dork. (I did some of my regular audio editing, but really nothing exciting at all, so I'll just leave it at that).

That was all on Tuesday. But Susie was still guest hosting today (Thursday) as well. I did some editing. I really like making bumpers. Kelly Lynn, the producer of the show, had me make some bumpers. I made a Snow Patrol bumper, which, for some reason, was really cool. I guess I just figured, it's KTIS, of course everything used on there HAS to be Christian. And Kelly Lynn liked it! That was pretty cool.

For a guest on the show, Susie had Bob Waliszewski (Focus on the Family's Director of Media and Culture...he's in charge of Plugged In, which reviews movies [among other things] in print, on the radio, and on the web) on the air talking about movies that are coming out soon or have just recently come out. So I'm sitting in the work room, minding my own business, just editing away, when Karl the Call Screener comes over and says "Kelly Lynn wants you to call in and ask a question, okay?" I go into the production room, but I tell Karl the Call Screener that I have no idea what to ask. I talked to Kelly Lynn and she told me to ask something about Harry Potter. I told her I don't know anything about Harry Potter. She asked me what I watch on TV. I told her I don't really watch that much TV. So she tells me to forget it and just have Karl the Call Screener call in. Well, Karl the Call Screener says okay and calls into the show. He was on hold with himself for over a half hour (with himself because, if you notice his name, it is Karl the Call Screener). I found this quite amusing. Especially because Karl the Call Screener stumped Bob W. (I believe his question was something along the lines of "How much should we wade through to get redeeming value out of a movie," his example being the movie The Shawshank Redemption, which I have not seen, but want to).

Basically the conclusion that was drawn about media in general was "If you were watching/listening with Jesus in the room, would you feel comfortable? If not, then don't watch/listen to it."

After the show was over, we (we being Kelly Lynn, Karl the Call Screener, Aaron White, Art something or other, me, and...I think that's it...oh, except Lauryn White came over eventually too) went over to Caribou for free coolers because it is the first day of summer. So I not only had an decently eventful day, but also got off early and got a free cooler. Can't beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment